Este año volvemos a ser parte del Newport Beach Film Festival. Por el Covid-19, el festival va a ser online. Así que va poder ser disfrutado en cualquier parte del mundo. No se pierdan esté increíble Festival.
Más información de todas las películas y cortometrajes aquí: nbff2020.eventive.org/films y abajo una lista de las piezas que representan la comunidad LatinX
La Restauración – Peru
Feature – Narrative
Tato, running out of ways to sustain his pleasure-driven lifestyle, looks to his bedridden mother for help. Soon enough, he’s begun scheming to sell her historic home out from under her, relocating her to a replica of her bedroom in the hopes that she won’t notice the difference. As his mother grows more and more suspicious, Tato is forced to concoct ever more complicated explanations for what’s going on, sparking questions of authenticity and what home means.
- Director: Alonso Llosa
- Screenwriter; Alonso Llosa
- Producer: Carolina Denegri, Gustavo Rosa
- Cast: Paul Vega, Attilia Boschetti, Delfina Paredes, Muki Sabogal, Pietro Sibille
Pureza – Portuguese, Brazil
Feature – Narrative
A mother finds farms with slave labor practices as she looks for her missing son in the Amazon region.
- Director: Renato Barbieri
- Screenwriter: Renato Barbieri, Marcus Ligocki
- Producer: Marcus Ligocki, Renato Barbieri
- Cast: Dira Paes, Matheus Abreu, Flavio Bauraqui, Sergio Sartório, Mariana Nunes, Cláudio Barros, João Leal
No Man’s Land
Feature – Narrative
A modern Western inspired by the real-life “no man’s land” areas along the Texas-Mexico border. While out on a vigilante father-son border patrol, Jackson Greer accidentally kills a Mexican immigrant boy. When Jackson’s father tries taking the blame, Jackson flees south on horseback, becoming a gringo “illegal alien” in Mexico. Chased by Texas Rangers and Mexican federales, Jackson journeys across Mexico to seek forgiveness from the dead boy’s vengeful father only to fall in love with the land he was taught to hate.
- Director: Conor Allyn
- Screenwriter: Jake Allyn, David Barraza
- Cast: Frank Grillo, Andie MacDowell, Alex MacNicoll, George Lopez, Jake Allyn
Ara Malikian: a life among strings / Ara Malikian: una vida entre las cuerdas – Spain
Feature – Documentary
Ara Malikian, a multifaceted violinist of Lebanese origin and Armenian roots uses music as a life saving tool when escaping war. He left Beirut when he was only 14 and has lived a nomadic life ever since then, bringing his music to all the world.
- Director: Nata Moreno
- Screenwriter: Nata Moreno
- Producer: Amelia Hernández
Short – Narrative
During a Thanksgiving event at her school, a young Puerto Rican girl brings a popular dessert dish, but her perspective on the world changes when no one eats it.
- Director: Lizette Barrera
- Screenwriter: Pamela Rodríguez
- Producer: Pamela Rodríguez, Matthew Herbertz, William Allen
- Cast: Noa Garcia, Kianna Jackson, Arnira Turney, Elvia Hill, Saul Cancel, Michael Ramon
Toxic / Tóxico
When a terrible explosion releases toxic particles into the environment, a couple with marital problems must survive inside their home in the middle of the desert.
- Director: Fabián Archondo
- Screenwriter: Fabián Archondo
- Producer: Sergio Livas
- Cast: Monica Huarte, Mauricio Isaac
When confronted by the police in a house that is not his own, a Mexican-American man must convince them, and the woman living in the house, that he belongs.
- Director: Vin Nucatola
- Screenwriter: Vin Nucatola (written by), Frankie Toscano (story by), Mary Ortega (story by)
- Producer: Mary Ortega, Vin Nucatola
- Cast: Frankie Toscano, Simone Silva, Brent Pella
In 1970s Salinas, a Mexican farmworker named Mateo volunteers for the Vietnam War to prove his manliness to his father
- Director: Cynthia E. Garcia
- Screenwriter: Cynthia E. Garcia
- Producer: Andrew Baer
- Cast: Manuel Hernandez, Melissa Munoz, Alejandra Ayala
Stealing Home – US
A college student struggles to find his way after his persistent battles with cancer.
- Director: Eriq Springer
- Producer: Teresa Juarez
Caesura – US
A male #MeToo story in the classical music world.
- Director: Andy Brewster
- Screenwriter: Emma Palmbach / Andy Brewster
- Producer: Jesse Taylor Creasman / Ellie LaFrombois
- Cast: Brendan Shannon, Matthew Rhodes
Anacronte – Argentina
Short – Animation
Since the timeless night, on life’s plains, humanity facesthe Sorcerers of Evil’s indefeasible designs.
- Director: Raúl Koler and Emiliano Sette
- Screenwriter: Raúl Koler and Sabrina Pace
- Producer: Emiliano Sette
Before You Had A Name – US
Guided by the spirit of creative partnership and inspired by the experience of maternity as a complex journey in a woman’s mind, body and life, the Before You Had A Name Film, directed by Raquel Gallego, is an intimate behind-the-scenes and onstage look into the heart of the eponymous performance piece created by Heather Powell, Danielle Rowe and Alisa Lapidus, featuring Sarah Van Patten of the San Francisco Ballet.
- Director: Raquel Gallego
- Producer: Heather Powell, Alisa Lapidus, Danielle Rowe
- Cast: Sarah Van Patten